Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Love talks

As promised: one of my blogposts that i dug up from my many drafts...


I had a great time meeting up with friends that made up various stages of my life cycle in the past 2 mths that i've been in this posting (heh kudos to 'normal' working hours)
And it has been really nice catching up with everyone, finding out abt new relationships/new relationship status.
Some friends got surprisingly attached, others even more surprisingly remained not. The girls got prettier, while somehow strangely, guys ALL look the same, even down to their hairstyle tho we've not met up in at least 7yrs. People are talking abt engagement rings and BTOs and life insurance policies at jc gatherings, and it's at times like those that u feel ur age smacking you in the face. [My subconsious can't seem to grasp the fact that i'm not 18anymore, whenever i see a pt with Ic no. of S90..., i keep thinking i'm gonna deal with 12yo boys]

At my class gathering, my friends were just chatting abt the various stages of their relationships and i tot it'd be fun to write my own theories and those they shared with me here on my blog.
See if u agree!


1. Friends
The norm is that we all start off from being friends. Although in this modern day and age, the converse seems to be getting more and more prevalent. And also if you are one of those guys who are looking to our fairer friends from neighbouring countries, then shoo! you should stop reading this blog post, in fact, I would prefer it if you stop reading my blog altogether.

2. Ai Mei phase aka i-like-you-you-like-me phase or I like to call it the 'Ai Mai Ai Mai' phase
The most exciting part of the relationship where you sort of know that the other party likes you, where the guys pay extra attention in being nice to you or if in pri sch, tug on your pigtail and then run away, and the girls giggle loudly at everything the guys do and say.

3. 'eh! you want to go steady?'
Being a rather traditional girl myself *coughs* I would prefer it if the guy can pop the question to make things official, of cos, if you do ask the question above, I can gurantee that your success rate might be rather poor. Asking is MUCH more preferable to dragging your feet in AiMei phase and assuming that the girl will grasp your intention by osmosis. I've always admired those guys who knew what they want, and go all out to inform the girl. Well, of cos, I'm saying all these easily like it's chicken feed, but i think if i'm born a guy, I'd be too chicken to do any of it and most probably end up a loner at home watching tv everyday.

4. The Re4 Lian4 aka Madly-in-love phase
You meet up everyday, and spend the time apart chatting/smsing on the phone, you start and end the day thinking abt him, you feel sad everytime your time together is ending, you get a thrill everytime he holds your hands and steal quick kisses when you think no one is watching. You might declare to the whole world that he is THE ONE, and you've picked out your kids' names already. [My friends would be able to tell you that i did quite the converse by telling everyone that he is most likely NOT The one... ssshhh dun tell Catechol, he doesn't know that and obviously doesn't read this blog]

5. The stable phase
once you manage to emerge from all that craziness alive, you can truly begin to settle down and get comfortable with your status as a 'attached' couple. The problem is if one half of the couple emerges before the other, that's when you get the: 'why don't you want to spend time with me anymore?'s, 'are your friends more important than me?' and the 'you don't treasure our time together' and other similar drama things that's the stuff of ch8 dramas
You can enjoy regular weekend dates and not feel like you've been done an unjust punishment when your other half dun want to meet (even tho i still meet Catechol everyday, but at least whenever any one of my friends ask me out, I still place you guys over him k)

6. The One year Test
Here's when you find urself stagnating and thinking if you seriously see yourself with this person. Some I know lay down ultimatums ('if you dun give me the ring by next year, I'm moving on'), others may feel like 'taking a break'. Be it a day, a few weeks or even months apart (mine always infuriatingly only manage to last a few hrs) Either way, i believe it's just an obstacle you need to work your way through together and smth that at the end of the day bring you closer together.

7. The Three year Itch
Earlier or later than 3 years, it will come. It may come in the form of a temptation, a distraction, a new job or a family matter but it is going to happen.


8. The Lao fu Lao qi (literal translation: old husband old wife) phase
Here's when you pretty much decide that you're stuck with each other for the rest of your lives, despite knowing abt his snoring or stinky feet or strange dental habits or her less than ideal cooking or non-NEA approved food hygiene or propensity to kick you in your sleep when you snore.
(*coughs* resemblance to any characters living or dead is purely fictional).

No comments: