Sunday, March 19, 2006

7 day hol: last parts

I went to jb with rm and the guys on thur, and I never knew going to jb could be so funny, (yes, not fun, funny).

Funny #1: I commented that gh looked like a bodyguard in his tight shirt and shades, and thus he was appointed our bodyguard of the day. I thought he did a very good job, I felt safer already just standing next to him (more abt that ltr).

Funny #2: Jerry and Hag each brought less than 60 ringgit. Gh didn’t bring much more either.

Funny #3: The poor guys were really very poor thing when we girls shopped. They just sort of tailed behind us and walked around in the shop aimlessly, or stood outside the shop talking. Much like bodyguards.

Funny #4: We saw small wl and Andrew that whole gang eating at City Square and we waved at each other.

Funny #5: We sort of got directions from a salesgirl how to take a bus to Holiday Plaza, and waited a VERY long time for the bus. Waiting time was interspersed with us asking quite a number of people at the bus stop whether there are any buses to Holiday Plaza, and NOBODY knew. We also laughed at gh asking directions cos he looked like a gangster exhorting ‘protection’ money.

Funny #5: At Holiday Plaza, I dragged rm to go for a pedicure and the guys found an arcade. Little did I know that the pedicure would take SO long and the poor guys soon ran out of money and in the end stood waiting outside the shop for us for at least 20min, making ‘smelly feet’ hand signals. I felt really really really really very bad, yikes.

Funny #6: After the pedicure, I realized tat I only have 17 ringgit left, a money count revealed that we only have 160rm betw us, which made the situation quite dire as we were planning to eat seafood. We decided that no one was to go to the toilet until we’re sure that we still have money to go home after our meal.

Funny #7: Because Catechol told me that it is possible to walk from hol plaza to Sentosa (20min he said) and equipped me with a crude map (which he drew frm memory, which I later learnt, after the trip, was from the last time we went there which was 6mths ago), I suggested that we could try walking. They all agreed, since we’re pretty much forced to.

Not-so-funny #8: We were all rather impressed with the map at first but halfway thru the journey I decided that something is wrong, as sentosa is nowhere in sight even though we have walked the suggested 20min. Gh asked for directions again and seems like we were heading in the right direction, so we trudged on. (I found out later that I should have made a left turn soon after the traffic junction, sadly, it was difficult to judge from the map, when exactly to turn. My fault, my fault, sorry la guys)

Not-so-funny #9: After a really long walk, we reached Sentosa. rm’s friend told her that there is a famous seafood place near there so we asked some aunties and they pointed us across the road. When we trudged there, we decided the two seafood coffeshops too dubious for our consumption. Jerry insisted that one of the barbecued foodstuff looked oddly rat-shaped. Rm sms-ed her friend and got the name of the restaurant. We asked this kindly fellow who told us to go to the end of the road and turn right. He also told us that it is quite far if we were to walk and then happily drove away, in a HUGE landrover type car, in that direction.

Really-not-funny #10: We walked.

We walked Posted by Picasa

And we walked Posted by Picasa

there is no end in sight Posted by Picasa

We even walked by the stupid Sentosa Tower.

Sentosa tower, damn far frm hol plaza Posted by Picasa

I also haf a very cute, very spontaneous photo of gh, whose expresssion reflected how we were all feeling. He refused to let me put it up here tho, but i'm sure he'll relent if u ask him nicely.

We walked so much that we started to get high, actually, everyone but me got high. I was too tired to get anything.
We saw some interesting things too, like there’s this guy who bought this enormous round float, I think it was meant to be an indoor pool, it was apparently too big to fit in his car, so he held it with his right hand with that thing outside the car and drove with his left hand.
We all burst out laughing. We also saw a moving snack shop. And a stall selling very very famous fishballs which we all decided to eat for dinner if we can’t find the elusive seafood restaurant.

Funny #11: FINALLY we reached the place, it looked like heaven, with aircon and chairs and all. We hung around outside and when a waiter approached us, we asked, “we only have 100rm, what can we eat?” It was embarrassing to say the least. We even asked about the cab fare back to customs, I think the guy really took pity on our pockets and how even though we’re broke we wanted to eat at his restaurant, he actually called up a friend to check the fares. Anyway, he reassured us that we can afford to eat there so we went in.

Funny #12: We saw small wl and gang eating inside! And laughed embarrassingly at their shocked faces when we told them that we walked there. Actually, I don’t think they believed us. Then, we all rushed to the toilet.

Funny #13: We told the waitress that we only have 100rm and asked her to recommend. She was quite nice and told us the price of every item we ordered and even worriedly reminded us that we have ordered 90 plus worth of food when we wanted to order more.

Funny #14: After eating butter prawns, sharkfins-like soup, assam fish, sambal kangkong, we felt like ordering more. Jerry even went to change 20rm frm jp and firmly told us that we’re not to tap into his reserve money. So we flagged down a waitress and asked her to help us check the price of our fish. Anyway, we ordered a herbal chicken which was really very very good.

Funny #15: We ate up every single edible part of the chicken. Hag and Jerry picked and picked at the remains, leaving no bone unturned. They passed all the skin to me and all the yao cai to gh and drank up all the gravy, while I picked and picked at the remains of the fish. So between us, I’m certain that we ate all that we could, even the breadcrumbs from the butter prawns.

not a scrap left Posted by Picasa

Funny #16: Heng the guys left first before they got to see all these. Small wl came over to disturb us before they left, and jokingly said that our meal was on him. The eight of them spent 159rm between them, which struck a chord of fear in us.

Funny #17: We paid 104rm and breathed a sigh of relief. We decided to split up to take the cabs, 1 rich person : 1 poor person. I was the poor person assigned to gh. Rm they all grabbed a cab the moment we reached the road, but gh and I din have such luck. We waited and waited and waited, and I got increasingly nervous. But thank goodness gh was there with me, he told me later that there were a bunch of malay guys staring at us in the dark but he gave them a warning stare. When we finally got a cab, my lousy malay nearly caused me to pay 20rm instead of 12 but the driver actually corrected my mistake. I was quite apprehensive still, and kept asking gh in Chinese whether we were heading in the right direction. There was a point when the driver turned into a sideroad and seemingly headed straight into a forest with no streetlights and nothing ahead, I was totally freaked out. When I related this incident to the others later, Hag said, “scarly you see gh turning with an evil smile on his face and said he’s tog with the taxi driver one”. Gh then added his two-cents worth and the conversation degenerated to extreme lameness.

Funny #18: Yay, we finally reached good old Singapore, and at the Woodlands customs we ran into them AGAIN. They were right at the other end of the hall and jerry and jp waved at each other over the masses of people like some long-lost relatives. I suddenly remembered that the last time I went to jb I saw them too! Giggling, we concluded that one of either one of us must have been going to jb a tad too often.

Finally, all tired out, we headed for home. We figured we walked for more than 1.5hrs.
.
.
.
It’s the last day of the hols and it’s only on the last day of the hols that I realized how shiok the hols had been. I did all that I wanted to do, met the people I wanted to meet and didn’t touch my books, all without a tinge of guilt. I went to sing (huo huo huo huo huo huo huo) and had TWO buffets and made a buffet date with my buffet kakis in april.
I just had the nonya buffet dinner at bugis (cheap $11 and not too bad) so I don’t think I’d be sleeping anytime soon. I’ve been trying to pinpoint when I turned into such a buffet freak and I think I put the blame on my jc friends. I don’t think I ate any buffet in sec sch (rite bao?) I only remember eating a lot of KFC 2-piece chicken meal every time after a horrible test.

Pasir ris here I come! (Muz sound happy abt it, I firmly believe in self-talk)

No comments: