Thursday, August 13, 2009

It only takes so little....

I may be grumpy and sleepy and hot and sweaty at 3am doing the unenviable tentage shift...
but just a simple 'thank you, you are very kind' from a knowledgeable 80yo uncle who can tell me absolutely everything abt his complicated medical hx in chinese including using the terms 1st degree AV block, or a previously anxious auntie joyously thanking me becos she can finally be assured that her chest pain is likely due to GERD and not MI, or even just a 40yo son very sweetly reassuring his mother that he would wait for her till her discharge despite e wee hours of the morning, can just brighten up my night and give me energy to tahan till e end of e shift.

But a son scolding his mother for bringing trouble to him and telling me before i even see the pt to admit her in the cheapest ward, getting uncooperative pts who refuse to or give weird no head-no-tail history one following another and another and another and with diff bloods to boot who ended up actually being very sick, and then finally when nearing the end of the gruelling shift being screwed up-side down for forgetting to do smth,
just destroys my morale and makes me want to cry at the thought of repeating the whole process again just a short 10hrs later.....

No comments: