Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We are different.

Just as I find the sgh surg wards getting more and more crowded with non-SGH surg peeps, I found myself leaving hospital earlier and earlier. (left at record time of 1.30pm today!)

This is partly due to a most humbling experience of a colorectal tut with a known MBBS examiner.
I was kinda drifting in and out of stoning (the bloody tut was at 7.30am lo, and even tho i live like 10min away i still have to wake up early for my IBS k...) and sudd i was asked abt the extracolonic manifestations of FAP. The person in front of me had already said "pass!" and i just can't get rid of my mind block so I said "pass" also, and the tutor looked hopefully at the guy next to me, who said, "err I didn't know there were extracolonic manifestations".
You can imagine at this moment, the tutor's face looked rather black liao, and then he threw us the stinger, "don't you know abt 'chirpy'?"
In my stoned state, I wrote down: extracolonic manifestations of FAP = chirpy, then gave myself a mental shake while my mind went "HUH???" I leaned over to look at my neighbour's notes and he also wrote "chirpy".
"C-H-R-P-E", he announced to the silent room, there was a pause, while pple with pdas frantically whipped them out.
(in the rare event that you guys dont know, it's congenital hypertrophy of the retinal pigment epithelium)

Then, after a few more of these cringe-worthy moments, the tutor says, "I think you guys should read up more, going to the wards is important but you also need to build up on your knowledge."
I thought that sounds familiar, like I've heard it alot of times before, but smth seems abit different. It all became clear when he says, "Usually students have the problem of reading too much and lacking clinical skills, but i think this group NEEDS TO READ MORE".

Some irritating voice in my mind went: KUA KUA KUUUAA!

That day, my entire cg left before 3pm, and the only reason why the other cgs stayed is because they've got tutorial.

No comments: